What is Hypoallergenic Jewelry?
If you have allergies, you likely look for products marked “hypoallergenic” to avoid triggering an allergic reaction. Hypoallergenic means a product contains few allergy-producing substances known as allergens
Earrings come in every type of metal, including stainless steel, but we’re starting here because it’s the one thing people can be allergic to. The most common metal allergy is nickel, which can cause itching, rash, swelling and blisters.
Hypoallergenic jewelry means that there is minimal risk of causing an allergic reaction. Most hypoallergenic jewelry contains pure metals such as platinum, gold, titanium, copper, and stainless steel, fine silver, and sterling silver.
If you have a nickel allergy, choose nickel-free metals, such as 18K yellow gold, platinum, titanium, copper and sterling silver. White gold is a no-no — it usually contains nickel. If you already have a pair of earrings with nickel, you can purchase plastic covers to protect your ears, but these only work with certain types, such as studs. If you don’t have a nickel allergy, all metals work for you.
Hypoallergenic jewelry will usually contain more of the precious metal and less of the base, inexpensive alloys. Sterling silver, gold, titanium, platinum and copper alone or alloyed in combinations without nickel create beautiful jewelry without causing allergies.
You should know that in some cases, you can still have an allergic reaction from hypoallergenic jewelry. Hypoallergenic means the item or product has a “minimal” chance of causing an allergy. For example, hypoallergenic stainless-steel jewelry may contain trace amounts of nickel, enough to cause a problem in some people.
If you are looking for more information on hypoallergenic jewelry, here are a few additional points to consider:
- Hypoallergenic jewelry is made with materials that are less likely to cause allergies or irritation. This includes metals like stainless steel, titanium, and platinum, as well as other materials like silicone and plastic as well as gold and silver.
- Hypoallergenic jewelry is often nickel-free. Nickel is a common cause of allergies and irritation, so many hypoallergenic jewelry brands avoid using it in their products.
- Hypoallergenic jewelry is not completely allergy-proof. Some people may still have reactions to certain materials, even if they are considered hypoallergenic. However, the chances of having a reaction are significantly lower with hypoallergenic jewelry than with other types of jewelry.
- Hypoallergenic jewelry can be more expensive than other types of jewelry. This is because the materials used to make hypoallergenic jewelry are often more expensive than the metals and materials used in other types of jewelry. However, the long-term benefits of wearing hypoallergenic jewelry may outweigh the initial cost.
- Hypoallergenic jewelry may be a better choice for people with metal allergies. Many people with metal allergies can still wear hypoallergenic jewelry made from materials like stainless steel, titanium, and platinum.
- Hypoallergenic jewelry may be a better choice for people with sensitive skin. The materials used in hypoallergenic jewelry are often smoother and less likely to cause irritation or chafing, which can be a problem with certain types of jewelry.
- Hypoallergenic jewelry can be a good choice for people with sensitive piercings. If you have a new piercing or a piercing that is prone to irritation, hypoallergenic jewelry may be a better option than other types of jewelry.
- Hypoallergenic jewelry can be a good choice for people with allergies to certain chemicals. Some jewelry is made with chemicals like lead, cadmium, and formaldehyde, which can cause allergic reactions in some people. Hypoallergenic jewelry is typically free of these chemicals, making it a safer choice.
- Hypoallergenic jewelry is not just for people with allergies or sensitive skin. Many people choose to wear hypoallergenic jewelry for its durability, versatility, and style, regardless of whether they have allergies or sensitive skin.
In conclusion, hypoallergenic jewelry is a great option for people with sensitive skin or allergies. It is made with materials that are less likely to cause irritation or allergic reactions, and it comes in a wide range of styles and designs. While it may be more expensive than other types of jewelry, the benefits of wearing hypoallergenic jewelry can make it a worthwhile investment.
Also, consider your complexion when making a metal choice. Fair skin tends to look better with white or silver metals. Darker skin tones glow with the warmth of yellow gold.